A few weeks ago, I wrote a post all about my love for brussels sprouts in a new series called 180 Wednesday, documenting foods or experiences I despised as a child and have neverbeenso obsessed with now. This week, it’s CAULIFLOWER.
As a child, this was the most bland (and ugly) vegetable I could think of, even buckets of ranch couldn’t get me to eat it. And now, I’m obsessed. It can be transformed to resemble so many things: rice, mashed potatoes, pizza crust, the list goes on.
I’ve posted a cauliflower fried rice recipe (SO good), but this weekend I wanted comfort food. I mean, rightfully so since it’s been so cold and dreary (who else is ready to throw blows about this snow in April?!). I adapted the Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Rice from Pinch of Yum by adding sausage and kale and it was exactly what the doctor ordered to get me through these freak cold spells. The recipe makes a decadent sauce made mostly of cauliflower, yet tastes like its full of butter and cream and melted cheese.
Stay tuned for several of my go-to cauliflower recipes!
Creamy Sausage, Kale and Cauliflower Garlic Rice
1 head cauliflower, florets broken up
4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water
½ cup milk
1½ cups brown rice (I used Harris Teeter Basmati Blend)
1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste!)
4 tablespoons butter
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups kale, chopped (stems removed)
16 oz sausage, cut into ½ inch slices (I used Hillshire Farms Turkey Kielbasa)
1. Start to cook the rice according to package directions.
2. While the rice is cooking, bring the vegetable broth and water to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and boil for about 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer cauliflower pieces to a blender or food processor.
3. Puree the cauliflower, adding milk or extra vegetable broth to get a smooth, creamy consistency. Season with salt. Set aside.
4. While the rice continues to cook, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter and add the garlic, sauteing over low heat until the garlic is very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add the sausage and kale and mix until sausage browns and kale begins to wilt. Note: The kale should still be bright green.
5. When the rice is done, add remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the rice and pour in the cauliflower mixture, mix until well combined.
6. Add the kale, sausage and garlic mixture into the rice and stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Let cool slightly and serve.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Sausage, Kale and Cauliflower Garlic Rice”
Made this tonight and loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
Great! Feel free to share and follow other delicious recipes here and on Instagram (@neverbeenso) and Twitter (@neverbeenso_off)!